WON - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 34 Buffalo Bills 28
The Buccaneers took a 20–0 halftime lead over the Buffalo Bills after recovering fumbles on two kickoffs. They barely held on for victory, as a Jim Kelly pass went incomplete in the end zone with no time remaining. Afterward, Leeman Bennett declared it the "start of a new season". Steve Young completed 14 of 24 passes for 193 yards, and ran for two touchdowns. James Wilder also contributed a 45-yard touchdown run.
The Bills attempted a comeback, with Kelly throwing three touchdowns. Kelly, who only threw twice in the first half, completed 21 of 32 for 257 yards in the second half. This was Jim Kelly's first 300-yard passing game in the NFL after coming over to Buffalo from the USFL's Houston Gamblers. This game was the Bills' 31st consecutive road loss.
Bills coach Hank Bullough was fired following the loss, and was replaced by Marv Levy.
- REFEREE: Jim Tunney
- UMPIRE: Tom Hensley
- LINE JUDGE: Bob Beeks
- HEAD LINESMAN: Sid Semon
- BACK JUDGE: Jim Kearney
- FIELD JUDGE: Ron Spitler
- SIDE JUDGE: Gil Mace
- BUCCANEERS: 06:11-1Q Igwebuike FG49
- BUCCANEERS: 06:00-1Q Franklin fumble recovery in the endzone (Igwebuike kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 04:32-2Q Igwebuike FG26
- BUCCANEERS: 04:15-2Q Young 2 run (Igwebuike kick)
- BILLS: 07:23-3Q Metzelaars 1 pass from Kelly (Norwood kick)
- BILLS: 00:17-3Q Metzelaars 44 pass from Kelly (Norwood kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 12:06-4Q Young 1 run (Igwebuike kick)
- BILLS: 07:32-4Q Pitts 49 punt return (Norwood kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 06:27-4Q Wilder 45 run (Igwebuike kick)
- BILLS: 03:20-4Q Butler 9 pass from Kelly (Norwood kick)
- WR: #81 P. Freeman
- LT: #72 R. Taylor
- LG: #66 G. Yarno
- C: #60 R. Grimes
- RG: #62 S. Farrell
- RT: #73 R. Heller
- TE: #86 C. Magee
- WR: #87 G. Carter
- QB: #08 S. Young
- RB: #32 J. Wilder
- UB: #82 J. Bell
- LE: #71 B. Nelson
- NT: #76 D. Logan
- RE: #90 R. Holmes
- LOLB: #57 K. Browner
- LILB: #58 J. Davis
- RILB: #52 S. Brantley
- ROLB: #51 C. Washington
- LCB: #21 V. McKeever
- RCB: #22 R. Jones
- SS: #41 C. Swoope
- FS: #31 C. Curry
- 1 Igwebuike, 5 Garcia, 17 DeBerg, 25 Howard, 35 Franklin, 36 Futrell, 44 Sully, 46 Wonsley, 54 Randle, 59 Murphy, 67 Morgan, 68 Mallory, 75 Kellin, 77 Maarleveld, 80 Williams, 83 Gillespie, 84 Harris, 88 Spek, 98 Keys
DID NOT PLAY
- 23 Castille, 26 Easmon, 56 Walker, 64 Robinson
- BUCCANEERS: Wilder 20-97, Young 7-32, Wonsley 4-11, Carter 1-(5).
- BILLS: Kelly 5-42, Riddick 10-35, Harmon 4-2.
- BUCCANEERS: Young 24-14-193-0-0.
- BILLS: Kelly 39-29-342-0-3.
- BUCCANEERS: Wilder 5-50, Magee 4-52, J.Bell 3-23, Carter 1-45, Harris 1-23.
- BILLS: Metzelaars 7-113, Riddick 7-50, Harmon 6-45, Butler 3-71, Reed 3-38, Richardson 2-17, Rolle 1-8.
- BUCCANEERS: none.
- BILLS: none.
- BUCCANEERS: Wonsley 3-73, Futrell 2-47.
- BILLS: Richardson 3-62, Broughton 3-43.
- BUCCANEERS: Futrell 0-0.
- BILLS: Pitts 2-49, Broughton 1-1.
- BUCCANEERS: Swoope 1-18.
- BILLS: McNanie 2-15.