LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 13 Cincinnati Bengals 14
Neither team accomplished 300 total yards in the game with the Buccaneers trailing 13-14 in the final seconds of regulation game play as Tampa Bay's Louis Murphy catches a 21-yard pass at the Bengals 20 yard line, setting up a potential 39-yard game-winning field goal attempt. However, the Bengals threw their replay flag to challenge the play, which teams are not allowed to do in the final two minutes of a game. While that illegal move cost Cincinnati their final timeout, it also led to an official booth review and a replay review caught the Buccaneers with 12 men on the field and pushed them just out of field goal range. They never got back within striking distance.
The Buccaneers attracted 13-yellow flags on the day, for a loss of 94 yards and the offense being held to 263 net game yards. "We ran up to clock the ball and they stopped it," said QB Josh McCown, describing the game's deciding sequence. "I understand if we had 12 on the field and the booth stops it - I understand that. But I don't understand how the Bengals should be rewarded for stopping it. That being said, we can't allow that to happen, the personnel system, we've got to get guys in and out. We've got to make sure we have the right people in the game. It's unfortunate because Louis made a heck of a catch on the play to set us up to win the ballgame."
Buccaneers defense, which had been allowing just 19.0 points per game since the bye week, had another strong outing, keeping the Bengals from scoring on four of the six drives that reached Tampa Bay territory. However, a third-and-11 conversion by the Bengals with 2:37 left in regulation. In addition, Cincinnati turned both of its red zone possessions into touchdowns.
"That was big, but we didn't get the ball back when we needed to get the ball back," said Banks. "They converted on a third down they shouldn't have converted on. We did our job the second time around and got the ball back, but it's a team thing. We've just got to be better as a team. You've got to credit them; they get paid, too. They did what they were supposed to do. They scored in the red zone and we didn't stop them in the red zone. He's one of the best in the game and we've got to respect that."
- REFEREE: Bill Leavy
- UMPIRE: Undrey Wash
- HEAD LINESMAN: Wayne Mackie
- LINE JUDGE: Mark Perlman
- SIDE JUDGE: Scott Novak
- FIELD JUDGE: Jimmy Buchanan
- BACK JUDGE: Keith Ferguson
- REPLAY OFFICIAL: Larry Nemmers
- VIDEO OPERATOR: not documented
- BUCCANEERS: 12:24-1Q Murray FG32
- BUCCANEERS: 12:00-2Q Martin 7 run (Murray kick)
- BENGALS: 01:08-2Q Dalton 5 run (Nugent kick)
- BENGALS: 02:04-3Q Green 13 pass from Dalton (Nugent kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 014:12-4Q Murray FG42
- WR: #83 V. Jackson
- LT: #73 A. Collins
- LG: #70 L. Mankins
- C: #72 G. Gilkey
- RG: #66 P. Omameh
- RT: #69 D. Dotson
- TE: #84 C. Brate
- TE: #75 O. Cousins
- QB: #12 J. McCown
- RB: #22 D. Martin
- WR: #13 M. Evans
- LE: #56 J. Smith
- DT: #93 G. McCoy
- DT: #97 A. Spence
- RE: #90 M. Johnson
- SLB: #45 O. Lemon
- MLB: #59 M. Foster
- WLB: #51 D. Lansanah
- CB: #21 A. Verner
- CB: #27 J. Banks
- SS: #30 B. McDougald
- FS: #38 D. Goldson
- 7 Murray, 9 Koenen, 10 Herron, 18 Murphy, 25 James, 29 Johnson, 32 Frey, 34 Sims, 37 Tandy, 39 Dixon, 43 Rainey, 48 DePaola, 50 Fletcher, 53 Magee, 57 English, 61 Allen, 64 Pamphile, 89 Shepard, 91 Bowers, 92 Gholston, 96 Fatinikun
DID NOT PLAY
- 8 Glennon, 31 Wright, 85 Williams
- 26 Butler, 54 David, 62 Dietrich-Smith, 82 Myers, 87 Sef-Jenkins, 88 Stocker, 98 McDonald
- BUCCANEERS: Martin 18-58, Rainey 1-11, Sims 5-6, McCown 1-0.
- BENGALS: Bernard 10-49, Hill 13-40, Sanu 1-10, Dalton 3-7, Wright 1-6.
- BUCCANEERS: McCown 29-15-190-1-
- BENGALS: Dalton 27-19-176-3-1, Sanu 1-1-11-0-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Evans 4-49, Sims 4-49, Rainey 2-41, Jackson 2-24, Brate 1-17, Murphy 1-7, Martin 1-3.
- BENGALS: Gresham 5-33, Green 4-57, Hill 4-12, Wright 3-59, Sanu 2-19, Bernard 1-4, Hewitt 1-3.
- BUCCANEERS: Banks 1-32, Verner 1-26, Dixon 1-0.
- BENGALS: Newman 1-3.
- BUCCANEERS: Rainey 1-19, Lemon 1-8.
- BENGALS: Jones 2-55.
- BUCCANEERS: Rainey 3-21.
- BENGALS: Jones 2-0, Tate 1-(-1).
- BUCCANEERS: McCoy 1-8, Spence 0.5-1.5, Bowers 0.5-1.5.
- BENGALS: Dunlap 0.5-1, Atkins 0.5-1.