LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 23 Cincinnati Bengals 56
With the Buccaneers offense having 475 total yards against the Bengals 482 it was actually the third-highest offensive output in franchise history, however, the Bengals in full no-huddle drives scored 42 unanswered points to sink any Buccaneers opportunity to win.
Aftwards coach Ray Perkins famously gave his players two days off after this loss stating "that he just didn't want to see them again".
Vinny Testaverde was 23-of-39 for 336 yards and three touchdowns without any sackes. Cincinnati quarterbacks completed fewer passes (22) for fewer yards (295). The time of possession differed by only three minutes. Buccaneers running backs averaged 5.1 yards per carry totaling 139 yards. Both starting Tampa Bay receivers had 100-yard games - Mark Carrier with 100 and Bruce Hill with 125. ``This is not a team without weapons that we beat today," Bengals coach Sam Wyche said. "But we were a steamroller today. They ran into us on one of those days we were hot."
The Bengals initial touchdown was their first in seven quarters. "There was a lot of frustration built up the past two weeks, and someone had to pay for it," said Bengals quarterback Boomer Esiason, who was 17-of-28 for 197 yards and five touchdowns. "Unfortunately for Tampa Bay, it was them."
- REFEREE: Ben Dreith
- UMPIRE: Dave Moss
- LINE JUDGE: Dick McKenzie
- HEAD LINESMAN: Tom Barnes
- BACK JUDGE: Don Wedge
- FIELD JUDGE: Bill Stanley
- SIDE JUDGE: Doyle Jackson
- VIDEO REPLAY OFFICIAL: Cal Lepore
- BUCCANEERS: 10:30-1Q Hill 3 pass from Testaverde (Igwebuike kick)
- BENGALS: 06:11-1Q Holman 1 pass from Esiason (Breech kick)
- BENGALS: 14:03-2Q Ball 1 run (Breech kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 08:37-2Q Safety - Esiason stepped over endline
- BUCCANEERS: 04:37-2Q Carrier 17 pass from Testaverde (Igwebuike kick)
- BENGALS: 00:17-2Q Brown 8 pass from Esiason (Breech kick)
- BENGALS: 12:58-3Q Brooks 4 run (Breech kick)
- BENGALS: 08:43-3Q McGee 14 pass from Esiason (Breech kick)
- BENGALS: 01:42-3Q Holman 9 pass from Esiason (Breech kick)
- BENGALS: 12:13-4Q Brown 18 pass from Esiason (Breech kick)
- BENGALS: 07:28-4Q McGee 46 pass from Wilhelm (Breech kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 04:52-4Q Hill 2 pass from Testaverde (Igwebuike kick)
- WR: #88 M. Carrier
- LT: #74 P. Gruber
- LG: #73 T. McHale
- C: #60 R. Grimes
- RG: #75 C. Bax
- RT: #72 R. Taylor
- TE: #82 R. Hall
- WR: #84 B. Hill
- QB: #14 V. Testaverde
- RB: #34 L. Tate
- FB: #43 W. Howard
- LE: #79 R. Davis
- NT: #78 J. Cannon
- RE: #92 S. Smith
- LOLB: #59 K. Murphy
- LILB: #99 E. Marve
- RILB: #54 E. Randle
- ROLB: #58 W. Moss
- LCB: #29 R. Reynolds
- RCB: #22 R. Jones
- SS: #30 M. Robinson
- FS: #25 S. Cocroft
- 1 Igwebuike, 5 Mohr, 20 Harris, 32 Wilder, 36 Futrell, 40 Elder, 47 Smith, 51 Thomas, 56 Anno, 57 Najarian, 70 Swayne, 77 Weston, 83 Peebles, 85 Walker, 86 Harris, 87 Drewrey, 95 Jarvis, 97 Lee
DID NOT PLAY
- 11 Bell, 12 Ferguson, 61 Ingram, 65 Graham, 71 Cooper
- 39 Hamilton, 94 Goff
- BUCCANEERS: Tate 17-84, Wilder 9-54, Testaverde 1-1.
- BENGALS: Brooks 17-131, McGee 1-25, Ball 9-23, Taylor 3-18, Jennings 3-(-9).
- BUCCANEERS: Testaverde 39-23-336-3-3.
- BENGALS: Esiason 28-17-197-0-5, Wilhelm 6-5-98-0-1.
- BUCCANEERS: Hill 7-125, Carrier 7-100, Wilder 6-48, Peebles 2-38, Hall 1-25.
- BENGALS: McGee 5-127, Holman 5-56, Brown 4-49, Brooks 3-17, Martin 2-19, Taylor 1-13, Jennings 1-9, Riggs 1-5.
- BUCCANEERS: none.
- BENGALS: Kelly 1-25, Bussey 1-0, Thomas 1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Elder 3-59, Howard 1-19, Futrell 1-14.
- BENGALS: Hillary 2-17.
- BUCCANEERS: Drewrey 1-9.
- BENGALS: Martin 2-1.
- BUCCANEERS: Smith 1-1.
- BENGALS: none.