LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 10 Chicago Bears 28
The Bears played the game with Mike Tomczak replacing the injured Jim McMahon at quarterback, and with Vince Tobin filling in for head coach Mike Ditka, who was in a hospital recovering from a mild heart attack suffered the previous week.
Tomczak completed 18 of 26 passes for 269 yards, including 4 completions for 87 yards and a touchdown to Dennis McKinnon. Thomas Sanders and Neal Anderson scored on one-yard runs. The touchdown to McKinnon was the Bears' first third-quarter touchdown of the season. The Buccaneers scored on a 21-yard touchdown pass from Vinny Testaverde to Bruce Hill.
Testaverde completed 22 of 52 passes for 305 yards. He was intercepted twice, but Perkins praised Testaverde's performance, saying that he played with "more discipline and more control" than in his six-interception performance on Oct. 23.
The Buccaneers had early success running against the Bears' top-ranked run defense, but fell behind as the Bears came to life following Donald Igwebuike's 45-yard second-quarter field goal. The Buccaneers were able to hold the Bears to only 69 yards rushing, although Bears players later attributed their avoidance of the ground game to the ease with which they were able to pass.
The game was played on the occasion of Ray Perkins' 47th birthday.
- REFEREE: Jerry Seeman
- UMPIRE: Rex Stuart
- LINE JUDGE: Bama Glass
- HEAD LINESMAN: Aaron Pointer
- BACK JUDGE: Don Wedge
- FIELD JUDGE: Don Dorkowski
- SIDE JUDGE: Dave Parry
- REPLAY OFFICIAL: Dave Kamanski
- BUCCANEERS: 10:19-2Q Igwebuike FG45
- BEARS: 06:15-2Q Sanders 1 run (Butler kick)
- BEARS: 02:27-2Q Anderson 1 run (Butler kick)
- BEARS: 13:38-3Q McKinnon 20 pass from Tomczak (Butler kick)
- BEARS: 08:26-3Q Moorehead 2 pass from Tomczak (Butler kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 06:00-3Q Hill 21 pass from Testaverde (Igwebuike kick)
- WR: #88 M. Carrier
- LT: #74 P. Gruber
- LG: #68 R. Mallory
- C: #60 R. Grimes
- RG: #69 J. Bruhin
- RT: #72 R. Taylor
- TE: #82 R. Hall
- WR: #84 B. Hill
- QB: #14 V. Testaverde
- FB: #43 W. Howard
- RB: #34 L. Tate
- LE: #79 R. Davis
- NT: #95 C. Jarvis
- RE: #90 R. Holmes
- LOLB: #59 K. Murphy
- LILB: #99 E. Marve
- RILB: #54 E. Randle
- ROLB: #57 W. Moss
- LC: #29 R. Reynolds
- RC: #36 B. Futrell
- SS: #20 O. Harris
- FS: #39 H. Hamilton
- 1 Igwebuike, 13 Criswell, 22 R Jones, 28 Brown, 35 J Smith, 40 Elder, 47 D Smith, 51 Washington, 53 Coleman, 55 Rolling, 56 Walker, 64 Thomas, 70 Swayne, 71 Cooper, 73 McHale, 78 Cannon, 80 Pillow, 85 Taylor, 86 Magee, 94 Goff, 97 Lee
DID NOT PLAY
- 12 Ferguson, 27 Goode
- 52 V Jones, 83 Clinkscales,
- BUCCANEERS: Howard 15-56, Tate 10-42, Criswell 1-0, Hill 1-(-14).
- BEARS: Tomczak 3-28, Sanders 7-25, Anderson 7-7, Suhey 6-5, Muster 2-4.
- BUCCANEERS: Testaverde 52-22-305-2-1.
- BEARS: Tomczak 26-18-269-1-2.
- BUCCANEERS: Hill 5-94, Hall 5-67, Carrier 4-63, Pillow 3-27, Howard 2-12, Magee 1-23, J.Smith 1-16, Taylor 1-3.
- BEARS: Gentry 6-97, McKinnon 4-87, Anderson 2-33, Davis 2-29, Suhey 1-10, Muster 1-9, Moorehead 1-2, Thornton 1-2.
- BUCCANEERS: Hamilton 1-11.
- BEARS: Jackson 1-46, Krumm 1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Elder 4-80, D.Smith 1-19.
- BEARS: Sanders 1-22, Gentry 1-12, Muster 1-10.
- BUCCANEERS: Futrell 1-7.
- BEARS: McKinnon 2-31.
- BUCCANEERS: none.
- BEARS: Hampton 1-24, Dent 1-8.