LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 19 Chicago Bears 27
The Buccaneers were unable to obtain a victory over the Chicago Bears, despite holding a lead in a dominant first half against what was widely considered to be the best team in football, and lackluster games from Jim McMahon and the Bears' defense.
The Bears held James Wilder to 29 yards, preventing him from tying an NFL record by joining O. J. Simpson and Earl Campbell as the only backs with seven consecutive 100-yard rushing games. In doing so, they allowed Steve DeBerg to have his best passing day as a Buccaneer, with 346 yards. Jimmie Giles and Kevin House both had over 100 yards receiving. Giles' 112 yards came on 7 catches, his career high.
The game was sealed with a daring, late-game bomb to Willie Gault that set up a 9-yard Walter Payton touchdown run.
Payton scored his 100th and 101st touchdowns, making him the sixth NFL player to reach the 100-touchdown mark. It was the Bears' sixth consecutive victory over Tampa Bay.
- REFEREE: Pat Haggerty
- UMPIRE: Hendi Ancich
- LINE JUDGE: Walt Peters
- HEAD LINESMAN: Frank Glover
- BACK JUDGE: Jim Poole
- FIELD JUDGE: Don Habel
- SIDE JUDGE: Dick Creed
- BUCCANEERS: 07:54-1Q Magee 1 pass from DeBerg (Igwebuike kick)
- BEARS: 02:49-1Q McKinnon 21 pass from McMahon (Butler kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 02:27-1Q House 44 pass from DeBerg (Igwebuike kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 11:31-2Q J.Bell 11 pass from DeBerg (Igwebuike kick)
- BEARS: 08:09-2Q McMahon 1 run (Butler kick)
- BEARS: 02:35-3Q Butler FG38
- BUCCANEERS: 01:09-2Q Wilder 3 run (Igwebuike kick)
- BEARS: 14:38-3Q Frazier 29 interception return (Butler kick)
- BEARS: 00:27-3Q Suhey 9 pass from McMahon (Butler kick)
- BEARS: 12:32-4Q McMahon 1 run (Butler kick)
- WR: #89 K. House
- LT: #69 G. Yarno
- LG: #72 S. Courson
- C: #60 R. Grimes
- RG: #62 S. Farrell
- RT: #73 R. Heller
- TE: #88 J. Giles
- WR: #87 G. Carter
- QB: #17 S. DeBerg
- TE: #82 J. Bell
- RB: #32 J. Wilder
- LE: #78 J. Cannon
- NT: #76 D. Logan
- RE: #90 R. Holmes
- LOLB: #51 C. Washington
- LILB: #58 J. Davis
- RILB: #52 S. Brantley
- ROLB: #53 H. Green
- LCB: #23 J. Castille
- RCB: #21 J. Holt
- sS: #30 D. Greenwood
- FS: #44 T. Sully
- 1 Igwebuike, 5 Garcia, 7 Risher, 20 Springs, 24 Prior, 29 Bright, 31 Curry, 40 Armstrong, 47 Dombrowski, 54 Randle, 56 Johnson, 57 Browner, 65 Fielder, 67 Morgan, 68 Mallory, 75 Lindstrom, 79 Kaplan, 81 Freeman, 83 T Bell, 85 Witte, 86 Magee,
DID NOT PLAY
- 8 Young, 64 Shearin
- BUCCANEERS: Wilder 18-29, DeBerg 1-0, Springs 1-(-2).
- BEARS: Payton 16-63, McMahon 8-46, Suhey 6-38, Thomas 1-3, Gault 1-(-3).
- BUCCANEERS: DeBerg 43-23-346-2-2.
- BEARS: McMahon 34-22-292-2-1.
- BUCCANEERS: Giles 7-112, House 6-100, Wilder 4-31, J.Bell 3-50, Carter 2-46, Magee 1-7.
- BEARS: Moorehead 8-114, Suhey 5-30, McKinnon 4-67, Gault 2-56, Payton 1-9, Margerum 1-9, Thomas 1-7..
- BUCCANEERS: Greenwood 2-5.
- BEARS: Duerson 1-37, Frazier 1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Freeman 2-79, Bright 1-16.
- BEARS: Gault 2-62, Gentry 2-57.
- BUCCANEERS: Bright 2-34.
- BEARS: Taylor 1-5.
- BUCCANEERS: Washington 0.5-3, Green 0.5-3.
- BEARS: none.