LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 28 Chicago Bears 38
The Buccaneers scored a team-record 28 first-half points against the Bears' defense, which had been ranked first in the league the previous season. James Wilder's 105 first-half rushing yards was higher than the average the 1984 Bears had allowed per game.
The Bears got no sacks, and Steve DeBerg was able to complete eight passes for three touchdowns, repeatedly able to fool the Bears with fake handoffs. After halftime adjustments, the Bears held the Buccaneers scoreless for the remainder of the game, while scoring three touchdowns to take the lead.
The turning point of the game was considered by Bennett to be a DeBerg pass that was deflected by Richard Dent, and returned by Leslie Frazier for a touchdown.
The Bears clinched the game when a blocked punt led to a 1-yard Jim McMahon touchdown run. Phil Freeman returned a kickoff 58 yards, the longest in Buccaneer history. Walter Payton rushed for 120 yards, his 64th career 100-yard rushing game.
On-field temperatures were recorded at 121 degrees.
- REFEREE: Greg Barth
- UMPIRE: Bob Boylston
- LINE JUDGE: Jim Johnson
- HEAD LINESMAN: Bill Toyler
- BACK JUDGE: Paul Liske
- FIELD JUDGE: Bob Kukar
- SIDE JUDGE: George Austin
- BUCCANEERS: 07:54-1Q Magee 1 pass from DeBerg (Igwebuike kick)
- BEARS: 02:49-1Q McKinnon 21 pass from McMahon (Butler kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 02:27-1Q House 44 pass from DeBerg (Igwebuike kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 11:31-2Q J.Bell 11 pass from DeBerg (Igwebuike kick)
- BEARS: 08:09-2Q McMahon 1 run (Butler kick)
- BEARS: 02:35-3Q Butler FG38
- BUCCANEERS: 01:09-2Q Wilder 3 run (Igwebuike kick)
- BEARS: 14:38-3Q Frazier 29 interception return (Butler kick)
- BEARS: 00:27-3Q Suhey 9 pass from McMahon (Butler kick)
- BEARS: 12:32-4Q McMahon 1 run (Butler kick)
- WR: #89 K. House
- LT: #69 G. Yarno
- LG: #72 S. Courson
- C: #60 R. Grimes
- RG: #62 S. Farrell
- RT: #73 R. Heller
- TE: #88 J. Giles
- WR: #87 G. Carter
- QB: #17 S. DeBerg
- TE: #82 J. Bell
- RB: #32 J. Wilder
- LE: #78 J. Cannon
- NT: #76 D. Logan
- RE: #71 C. Lindstorm
- LOLB: #51 C. Washington
- LILB: #58 J. Davis
- RILB: #52 S. Brantley
- ROLB: #53 H. Green
- LC: #23 J. Castille
- RC: #21 J. Holt
- sS: #30 D. Greenwood
- FS: #44 T. Sully
- 1 Igwebuike, 5 Garcia, 7 Risher, 24 Prior, 28 Carver, 29 Bright, 31 Curry, 40 Armstrong, 47 Dombrowski, 54 Randle, 56 Johnson, 57 Browner, 65 Fielder, 67 Morgan, 74 Sanders, 79 Kaplan, 80 Branton, 81 Freeman, 83 T Bell, 85 Witte, 86 Magee, 90 Holmes
DID NOT PLAY
- 68 Mallory
- BUCCANEERS: Wilder 27-166, DeBerg 2-0.
- BEARS: Payton 17-120, Suhey 8-27, McMahon 4-18, Thomas 3-12, Gentry 2-8.
- BUCCANEERS: DeBerg 21-13-160-2-3.
- BEARS: McMahon 34-23-274-1-2.
- BUCCANEERS: J.Bell 6-74, Carter 3-18, House 1-44, Giles 1-18, Wilder 1-5, Magee 1-1.
- BEARS: Payton 6-37, Gault 4-60, McKinnon 4-58, Thomas 3-32, Moorehead 2-31, Margerum 2-20, Wrightman 1-27, Suhey 1-9.
- BUCCANEERS: none.
- BEARS: Frazier 1-14.
- BUCCANEERS: Freeman 2-79, Bright 1-22, Magee 1-15.
- BEARS: Gentry 2-44.
- BUCCANEERS: Bright 1-21.
- BEARS: Taylor 3-26.
- BUCCANEERS: Logan 1-11, Cannon 1-10, Davis 1-2.
- BEARS: Dent 2-19.