LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 00 Chicago Bears 27
Several of the previous game's starters missed the game with injuries, including James Wilder, Jack Thompson, and both starting defensive ends (Lee Roy Selmon and John Cannon).
Walter Payton rushed for 106 yards despite having been held out of practice the preceding week with fluid on his knee. In the process, he also passed 1,000 yards for the season, and moved past O. J. Simpson into third place on the NFL's all-time career rushing list with 11,257 yards. It was Payton's 53rd career 100-yard game and his seventh 1,000-yard season, which tied the record of Jim Brown and Franco Harris, the two players ahead of him on the career list. It also left him with 315 pass receptions, third all-time among Bears players and one short of Mike Ditka's total.
Matt Suhey ran for 112 yards, a career best. The game was played in a heavy downpour, which contributed to the attendance of 36,816, the lowest in Buccaneer history. Jerry Golsteyn started in place of Jack Thompson, who had a bruised elbow. The Buccaneers totaled only 132 yards of offense, 42 of it on a single pass from Golsteyn to Kevin House at the end of the first half.
The ineffective Golsteyn was replaced with Jeff Komlo in the fourth quarter. Golsteyn completed 3 of 13 passes for 49 yards and an interception. The Bears' 273 yards rushing was the most the Buccaneers had ever allowed, just one week after an opponent compared the physicality of the Tampa Bay defense to that of the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Komlo was sacked three times, and his first pass was intercepted. He moved ahead of Golsteyn on the depth chart following the game. It was the first time since 1977, the week before their first franchise victory, that the Buccaneers had been shut out on consecutive weekends.
McKay said of his defense's effort: "Based on today, none of them are going to the Hall of Fame...then again, neither am I".
- REFEREE: Red Cashion
- UMPIRE: Art Demmas
- LINE JUDGE: Vern Marshall
- HEAD LINESMAN: Liqouri Hagerty
- BACK JUDGE: Ben Tompkins
- FIELD JUDGE: Bob Wortman
- SIDE JUDGE: Nate Jones
- BEARS: 09:19-2Q Suhey 2 run (Thomas kick)
- BEARS: 05:01-2Q Payton 8 run (Thomas kick)
- BEARS: 00:00-3Q Payton 3 run (kick failed)
- BEARS: 02:52-4Q Hartenstine 10 fumble return (Thomas kick)
- WR: #82 J. Bell
- LT: #75 D. Reavis
- LG: #72 R. Snell
- C: #60 R. Grimes
- RG: #62 S. Farrell
- RT: #70 K. Thomas
- TE: #82 J. Bell
- WR: #89 K. House
- TE: #86 J. Obradovich
- QB: #11 J. Golsteyn
- RB: #28 M. Carver
- LE: #66 B. Reese
- NT: #76 D. Logan
- RE: #69 H. Arbubaker
- LOLB: #51 E. Judie
- LILB: #58 J. Davis
- RILB: #52 S. Brantley
- ROLB: #53 H. Green
- LCB: #23 J. Castille
- RCB: #21 J. Holt
- SS: #33 M. Cotney
- FS: #43 B. Reece
- 1 Morton, 3 Capece, 5 Garcia, 7 Komlo, 22 Smith, 26 Owens, 24 Morris, 41 Thomas, 46 Armstrong, 54 Wood, 55 Spradlin, 56 Thompson, 57 Leonard, 63 Selmon, 64 Lowry, 68 Yarno, 77 Bujnoch, 85 Witte, 87 Carter, 90 White
DID NOT PLAY
- 44 Middleton, 74 Sanders, 81 Tyler
- 14 Thompson, 50 Wilson, 78 Cannon, 88 Giles
- BUCCANEERS: Carver 8-38, Owens 8-23, Komlo 2-11, Golsteyn 2-0.
- BEARS: Suhey 19-112, Payton 22-106, McMahon 7-22, Gentry 4-18, Thomas 2-10, Hutchinson 2-5.
- BUCCANEERS: Golsteyn 13-3-49-1-0, Komlo 8-4-49-1-0.
- BEARS: McMahon 12-8-79-0-0, Payton 1-0-0-1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Carter 3-29, House 2-51, T.Bell 1-16, Owens 1-2.
- BEARS: Suhey 3-29, Payton 3-25, Moorehead 1-22, McKinnon 1-3.
- BUCCANEERS: Reece 1-11.
- BEARS: Richardson 2-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Morton 5-110.
- BEARS: Gault 1-24.
- BUCCANEERS: T.Bell 2-13.
- BEARS: McKinnon 6-53
- BUCCANEERS: Arbubakrr 1-6.
- BEARS: McMichael 2-25, Hampton 1.5-7, Keys 1-6, Hartenstine 0.5-7.