WON - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 33 Chicago Bears 19
The Chicago Bears expected to face the mistake-prone Buccaneers team they had seen in game films, but were instead confronted with an efficient team that controlled the ball and took advantage of Bears mistakes.
Doug Williams threw touchdown passes to Jim Obradovich and Morris Owens, and unexpectedly ran for some key first downs. Gary Fencik intercepted him at the goal line on one drive, but the Bears failed to gain a first down on the ensuing possession.
Ricky Bell, until recently seeing primary duty blocking for Jimmy DuBose, returned to his lead runner spot and gained 95 yards on 28 carries. He was awarded a game ball for his effort. Dave Lewis intercepted Bob Avellini twice in the final two minutes, and the Buccaneers’ defense held Walter Payton to a season-low 34 yards rushing in the Bears’ fifth consecutive loss.
The Buccaneers made several changes in starting lineup going into the game: Wally Chambers made his first start of the year, Johnny Davis replaced the injured DuBose at fullback, and recently acquired Frank Grant got the start at wide receiver.
- REFEREE: Fred Wyant
- UMPIRE: Tom Hensley
- LINE JUDGE: Gene Carrabine
- HEAD LINESMAN: Leo Miles
- BACK JUDGE: Jimmy Rosser
- FIELD JUDGE: Fred Swearinger
- SIDE JUDGE: Don Orr
- BUCCANERS: 08:37-1Q Bell 1 run (kick failed)
- BEARS: 12:28-2Q Scott 34 pass from Avellini (Thomas kick)
- BUCCANERS: 01:54-2Q Obradovich 28 pass from Williams (O'Donoghue kick)
- BEARS: 00:03-2Q Thomas FG21
- BEARS: 10:17-3Q Harper 2 run (kick failed)
- BUCCANERS: 06:35-3Q Williams 1 run (kick failed)
- BUCCANERS: 09:48-4Q Owens 40 pass from Williams (O'Donoghue kick)
- BEARS: 06:46-4Q Thomas FG27
- BUCCANERS: 01:13-4Q Davis 3 run (O'Donoghue kick)
- WR: #83 F. Grant
- LT: #75 D. Reavis
- LG: #64 G. Horton
- C: #79 S. Wilson
- RG: #68 D. Medlin
- RT: #70 D. Carlton
- TE: #88 J. Giles
- TE: #86 J. Obradovich
- QB: #12 D. Williams
- FB: #38 J. Davis
- TB: #42 R. Bell
- LE: #60 W. Chambers
- DT: #76 D. Pear
- RE: #63 L. Selmon
- LOLB: #57 D. Lewis
- LILB: #61 D. Selmon
- RILB: #54 R. Wood
- ROLB: #56 C. Johnson
- LCB: #45 J. White
- RCB: #40 M. Washington
- SS: #33 M. Cotney
- FS: #34 C. Brown
- 4 Green, 6 O'Donoghue, 23 Ragsdale, 25 Jordan, 28 Maxson, 32 L Carter, 46 Reece, 51 Nafziger, 53 Bonness, 55 Brown, 65 Johnson, 71 Crowder, 72 Puetz, 73 Hannah, 74 Freitas, 77 Kollar, 84 Levenseller, 85 Owens, 87 Mucker, 89 McKay
DID NOT PLAY
- 15 Rae, 19 Huff, 44 Cesare
- BUCCANEERS: Bell 27-95, Davis 13-41, Williams 5-9, Carter 3-2.
- BEARS: Harper 10-65, Payton 15-34, Avellini 3-21, Parsons 1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Williams 19-11-180-1-2, Carter 1-0-0-0-0.
- BEARS: Avellini 29-15-218-3-1.
- BUCCANEERS: Owens 4-82, Bell 3-45, Obradovich 1-28, Mucker 1-11, Grant 1-8, Carter 1-6.
- BEARS: J.Scott 5-105, Payton 5-74, Schubert 2-33, Harper 2-3, Richards 1-3.
- BUCCANEERS: Lewis 2-17, Brown 1-29.
- BEARS: Fencik 1-11.
- BUCCANEERS: Ragsdale 2-60, Reece 2-47, Maxson 1-17.
- BEARS: Waterscheid 2-52, Gaines 2-48, Skibinski 1-12, Latta 1-8.
- BUCCANEERS: Reece 4-46.
- BEARS: Schubert 3-20, Waterscheid 1-6.
- BUCCANEERS: Lewis 1-8, Pear 1-7.
- BEARS: Page 1-7, Hicks 1-1.