LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 07 San Francisco 49ers 23
Still needing only one victory to clinch the division, the Buccaneers lost to the San Francisco 49ers in O.J. Simpson's final home game.
It was the second year in a row that the Buccaneers lost to a 49ers team that entered the game with a 1–13 record. The 49ers scored first, as Jeris White slipped while covering receiver Mike Shumann, leaving Shumann open for a 19-yard touchdown reception. The offense's single touchdown, a 19-yard pass from Doug Williams to Jimmie Giles, was a season low, while injuries to Mike Washington and Cedric Brown left the Buccaneers' secondary vulnerable.
Mike Rae again saw duty at quarterback in the fourth quarter, with the game out of hand. Williams, who tearfully accepted blame for the loss, threw five interceptions that left McKay considering either benching him or avoiding pass plays. McKay also criticized the offensive line's blocking, saying that he "saw (Ricky) Bell make some long runs, maybe two or three inches". Under pressure of needing to win one game, the Buccaneers' tension ("state of shock", according to McKay) was noticeable to 49ers players.
The loss dropped the Buccaneers into a 1st-place tie with the surging Chicago Bears in the NFC Central.
- REFEREE: Red Cashion
- UMPIRE: Art Demmas
- LINE JUDGE: Tom Dooley
- HEAD LINESMAN: Ed Marion
- BACK JUDGE: John Fouch
- FIELD JUDGE: Bill Kingzett
- SIDE JUDGE: Nate Jones
- 49ERS: 08:56-1Q Shumann 19 pass from DeBerg (Wersching kick)
- 49ERS: 05:00-1Q Wersching FG39
- BUCS: 05:14-2Q Giles 19 pass from Williams (O'Donoghue kick)
- 49ERS: 00:09-2Q Wersching FG27
- 49ERS: 10:57-4Q Elliot 1 run (Wersching kick)
- 49ERS: 03:40-4Q Wersching FG45
- WR: #81 I. Hagins
- LT: #75 D. Reavis
- LG: #62 G. Horton
- C: #51 S. Wilson
- RG: #61 G. Roberts
- RT: #70 D. Carlton
- TE: #83 J. Giles
- WR: #85 L. Mucker
- QB: #12 D. Williams
- RB: #42 R. Bell
- FB: #38 J. Davis
- LE: #60 W. Chambers
- T: #76 R. Crowder
- RE: #71 L. Selmon
- OLB: #57 D. Lewis
- MLB: #61 D. Selmon
- MLB: #54 R. Wood
- OLB: #56 C. Johnson
- LCB: #45 J. White
- RCB: #40 M. Washington
- SS: #33 M. Cotney
- FS: #34 C. Brown
- 6 O'Donoghue, 15 Rae, 16 Blanchard, 23 Ragsdale, 25 Jordan, 27 T Davis, 36 Berns, 43 Eckwood, 44 Cesare, 46 Reece, 51 Nafziger, 53 Bonness, 66 Yarno, 69 Austin, 74 Sanders, 76 Logan, 77 Kollar, 79 Lewis, 84 Jones, 86 Obradovich, 87 Mucker
DID NOT PLAY
- 14 Fusina
- BUCCANEERS: Bell 10-36, Eckwood 4-11, J.Davis 2-5.
- 49ERS: Francis 7-35, Simpson 6-26, Jackson 8-25, Elliot 6-13, Owens 1-8, Bruer 2-5, Hofer 4-4, DeBerg 2-(-3).
- BUCCANEERS: Williams 24-10-167-5-1, Rae 8-4-61-0-0.
- 49ERS: DeBerg 30-22-186-0-1, Montana 4-3-30-0-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Hagins 3-90, Giles 3-55, Eckwood 3-35, Bell 3-26, Ragsdale 2-22.
- 49ERS: MacAfee 5-40, Shumann 4-61, Francis 4-20, Hofer 3-21, Jackson 3-18, Bruer 2-27, Clark 2-17, Owens 1-9, Elliot 1-3.
- BUCCANEERS: none.
- 49ERS: Hicks 2-21, Gray 1-20, Bunz 1-2, Williams 1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Hagins 4-90, T.Davis 1-9, Berns 1-6.
- 49ERS: Owens 2-43.
- BUCCANEERS: Reece 3-20.
- 49ERS: Hicks 3-22.
- BUCCANEERS: Reece 1-2.
- 49ERS: Reese 1-10, Webb 1-7