LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 03 San Francisco 49ers 06
In a meeting between the NFL's two worst offenses, the San Francisco 49ers’ Ray Wersching kicked a fourth-quarter field goal to win the first game in which the Buccaneer defense held their opposition without a touchdown.
The Buccaneers committed ten fumbles, were intercepted five times, allowed eleven sacks, and scored no touchdowns.
McKay was so upset that he cancelled his regular press conference the Monday following the game, and indicated that he would not be present at his Friday press conference. The 49ers fumbled six times, were intercepted twice, and allowed five sacks. Mark Cotney's 28-yard interception return set up Tampa Bay's only score, a 35-yard Dave Green field goal. The previous week's injury to Neil O'Donoghue became an issue, as Green's limited range prevented the Buccaneers from attempting potential game winning or tying field goals.
Bill Kollar started and led the team in tackles for the second week in a row. The boredom of the game was such that one of the coaches spoke of setting himself on fire on the sideline, prompting a Buccaneer publicist to request that the team band be ready to play "You Light Up My Life"
- REFEREE: Bob Frederic
- UMPIRE: Lou Palazzi
- LINE JUDGE: Art Holst
- HEAD LINESMAN: Sid Semon
- BACK JUDGE: Bill Swanson
- FIELD JUDGE: Bob Wortman
- SIDE JUDGE: Vince Jacob
- 49ERS: 12:09-2Q Wersching FG28
- BUCS: 02:49-2Q Green FG35
- 49ERS: 0:00-4Q Wersching FG30
- WR: #87 F. Grant
- LT: #75 D. Reavis
- LG: #62 G. Horton
- C: #51 S. Wilson
- RG: #68 G. Puetz
- RT: #70 D. Carlton
- TE: #83 J. Giles
- WR: #85 L. Mucker
- QB: #17 M. Rae
- FB: #35 C. White
- HB: #42 L. Carter
- LE: #73 C. Hannah
- T: #76 D. Pear
- RE: #77 B. Kollar
- OLB: #57 D. Lewis
- ILB: #61 D. Selmon
- ILB: #54 R. Wood
- OLB: #56 C. Johnson
- ICB: #45 J. White
- RCB: #40 M. Washington
- SS: #33 M. Cotney
- FS: #34 C. Brown
- 4 Green, 25 Jordan, 38 Davis, 41 Farmer, 46 Reece, 51 Nafziger, 52 Harris, 53 Bonness, 55 Brown, 59 Inmon, 65 Johnson, 68 Medlin, 74 Freitas, 85 Owens, 86 Obradovich, 89 McKay
DID NOT PLAY
- 6 O'Donoghue, 12 Williams, 19 Huff, 23 Ragsdale, 42 Bell, 60 Chambers, 71 Crowder
- BUCCANEERS: Carter 15-60, Davis 7-24, Rae 2-14, Mucker 2-12, White 2-3.
- 49ERS: Hofer 17-55, Ferrell 9-15, Bull 3-9, DeBerg 1-5, Williams 1-4, Boykin 1-1.
- BUCCANEERS: Rae 27-13-140-1-0.
- 49ERS: DeBerg 15-11-89-2-0, Bull 17-10-98-2-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Carter 4-32, Grant 3-47, Obradovich 2-26, Giles 2-14, Mucker 1-11, Owens 1-10.
- 49ERS: Hofer 7-65, Harrison 6-78, Boykin 3-18, Williams 3-7, Steptoe 1-11, Ferrell 1-8.
- BUCCANEERS: otney 1-28, A. Brown 1-10, C.Brown 1-6, White 1-0.
- 49ERS: Crist 1-32.
- BUCCANEERS: Reece 1-18, Carter 1-10.
- 49ERS: Hofer 1-2, Downing 1-0, Williams 0-4.
- BUCCANEERS: Reece 2-11.
- 49ERS: Steptoe 6-73, Shumann 1-8.
- BUCCANEERS: Pear 3-26, Hannah 2-12.
- 49ERS: Webb 2-19, Reese 1-10, Hardman 1-10, Nichols 1-10, Bradley 1-8.